Monday, April 13, 2009

Oh, the anticipation of bloom season!

This seedling, also growing in this bed, is from a cross of Rodeo Sweetheart and Grace From Above. I love to remember the blooms as I look over and evaluate the growth and increase of the plants. Every phase of growing these flowers has its own joy!
This seedling, from last year is a cross between Wedding Feast and Mandalay Bay Music.






This is one of my 'seedling' beds....daylily seedlings are 2-3 years old from germination. In the background of the photo is the little 'flower house' my husband has made from a metal framing that formerly was a dog kennel. It is mostly a 'cold frame'....but, if needed, we can heat it with a portable heater to keep the temp up to an exceptable level. I have all my daylily seedlings, grown from last summer's efforts, growing in 20 oz. Styrofoam cups in there now. I will plant them out at the first of May. We also start some garden plants in the little house.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your Daylilies are beautiful. I especially like the first one - more my colors. I've seen beautiful ones now and need to get some. When we first bought the place our neighbors were so kind to give us some - all the same color and we weren't crazy about them but kept them for about 16 years. Now I know there are so many more gorgeous ones. I know every flower is pretty but sometimes just not exactly to ones taste. LOL Love the doubles!

Unknown said...

I was going to pick your post on Blotanical (it's like a vote) but you need to give it a title. That's the only way it will come up. Linda

Carrie said...

My goodness, I don't like lilies near me - i'm allergic but holy moly that wedding feast X mandalay bay music(is that right) ~ is to die for. Gorgeous!

I think i may learn to love them through you, from a far x

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

such beautiful flowers... but never knew Carrie is allergic to lilies ... o o .. cheers, blog on!! ~ bangchik at blotanical

Grace said...

You know, I never cared for day lilies. For me it was the colors. I'm not fond of yellows or dusky salmon--the two colors I equated with the day lilies of the world. Last year my garden buddy Carol and I were visiting a nursery and from afar, meaning several rows over, I spied this gorgeous PINK flower on long stems with...I'm sprinting now. I must see it. Watch where you're going Grace, there's a puddle...oops. Wet feet. Oh well. It was a PINK day lily! Who'd a thunk? Aptly (or not so much) it was named 'Coming up Roses.' I found the best plant, searching through several rows, of course. Since then my antennae have been up, my radar on high for more, because more is always better. H.'Final Touch' and 'Rose Petticoats' also decorate my borders. I'm interested in the bi-colored flowers too and will home in on them during the coming summer nursery treks. I'll stop rambling now. I hope to see more of your hybrids. I find it fascinating and from what little I know, I already get a sense that you're a kindred spirit.

Heather said...

Oh my gosh- you are serious about your lilies. I love daylilies. They truly have to be my favorite. Low care, simple division and viola', beautiful bloomers! Now I know who to ask when I need to know how to do something "lily". I didn't know you could grow a seedling. I am ignorant, I just buy the plants. Now I will take the time to learn more. Beautiful!
Heater