Saturday, April 11, 2009

Garden visitors.



Early this morning, when it was still misty, I caught a glimpse of 'Mr. & Mrs. Honker' strolling in the front garden, having a few tasty bites. They have been on our lake for about 3 weeks now....waking us with their loud honking near daybreak....we don't need an alarm! We are hoping they will successfully nest there....it's been several years since we've seen any young ones hatch there....seems something....like visiting fishermen...always disturb their efforts.

I took this photo out the front door, from inside the glass, so as to not alarm them. When I first saw them, 'Mr' was standing like a sentry on duty, guarding 'Mrs' while she had a nibble. We've noticed how protective he is.....this leads us to believe they may already have established a nest and laid eggs. I thought of the old saying I heard, as a child,from my Grandmother when she was 'put out' with someone...'he/she doesn't have the sense God gave a goose'.....and I always thought it meant geese didn't have good sense, but, I think it was a commentary on just how much sense God did give to a goose....in contrast to the less than sensible person she referred to. Geese mate for life and both worry together to raise their young....pretty sensible all around!

No comments: