Thursday, April 16, 2009

The sweetest Lily in the field....




This morning I had an email, from a robin post, where several members were giving links to photos of their adorable grandchildren. I remembered these pics I took last summer, in June, when our youngest granddaughter, Lily, visited for the day. She brought along her Mommy, her bff, Saylor, and Saylor's Mommy. The girls were just beginning to walk independently and they toddled all over the place....getting their 'land legs'....having mostly practiced their new found skills inside. What a lovely day outside we all had! We savored watching them explore...and taste most everything they encountered! No worry, we garden without harmful sprays, so there was no chemical danger.....and every part of the daylily plant, from root to bloom is quite edible....the blooms are especially 'tasty'......with a flavor like sweet iceberg lettuce. They can be used in salad .....adds interesting color.
We grow more than 1,000 varieties of daylilies.....and some are quite 'rare' and new, but, none will ever be so sweet and dear as our own Lily....whose full name is Lillian Grace. Her Mom gave her the nickname 'Lily' so she would have her own 'edge' among our 6 grandchildren!
I've added a new Picasa photo link to the right ....with all the photos from our lovely June day.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Mornin' what an adorable picture of your Granddaughter. Love it!

considerthelilies said...

Thank you! ....and thanks bunches for the pick.

Heather said...

She is a beautiful child- and she loves her daylilies just like grandma!

considerthelilies said...

Thanks, Heather, grandbabies are even better than daylilies!

Dirt Princess said...

Your daylilies are amazing! I know it is a beautiful sight to see when they are all in bloom. My neighbor has about 3,000 daylilies, she guesses about 1500 different types. They are also into hybrids. They have some really amazing ones. I can't wait for mine to bloom. Should be any day now.

considerthelilies said...

Thank you, dirtprincess...love your name! Yes, they are a sight to behold.....we've got them everywhere!

lynn'sgarden said...

Hi, I'm really excited to come across your blog..you see...I'm crazy for daylilies..a new passion going back only 3 years! I'm really looking forward to seeing your collection...wow..1000!!! For a newbie, I have about 60 and hope to learn about hybridizing. I've ordered from Ollalie..are you anywhere near them?

Gotta Garden said...

Saw your post on the Robin and so had to come have a look! Enjoyed reading your posts and viewing your lovely pictures.

Blogging is a lot fun...and a great way to keep a garden journal, complete with pictures!

lynn'sgarden said...

Oops, I meant to say Oakes Daylilies (not Ollalie..they are in VT..lol!)
Lynn

considerthelilies said...

Lynn'sgarden, Yes Oakes Daylilies are about an hour and a half to the east of us. Many folks get their first daylilies from them. They have a large operation...a big mail order business and a lovely open garden weekend every year. I get many of my new ones directly from the hybridizer or from other hobbyists, like me, on the Lily Auction.

tina said...

What a sweet picture! My only grandson is coming to stay with me in September. I can't wait. I hope he enjoys gardening like Lily. Definitely the sweetest lily in the field...

walk2write said...

I just found your comment on Tina's site (In the Garden) and can tell I'm going to be visiting here often. You take lovely pics, and I'm interested in learning more about daylilies. Would love to try hybridizing them myself. Fascinating information about the edible aspects. Hope you don't mind, but I'm adding you to my bloglist. Grandchildren are such a joy. Our first and only one will be two this May.