Friday, October 16, 2009

RAIN AND MUSHROOMS




Our area has had an abundance of rain this growing season.....with a proliferation of all kinds of vegatation....we've seen new varieties of weeds. While weeding a daylily bed, between rain showers recently, I found this mushroom....quite large and meaty looking with an interesting green underside. I grabbed the camera and went walking down our path around the lake and discovered some others I'd never noticed before.








This one appeared to have brown 'feathers'.




This one had a shiny texture with an interesting silvery purple color.



This one looked like a sea sponge.



This red one was about 2 inches across, but many identical tiny ones were growing nearby....some only about the size of a pencil eraser.

This was my favorite....loved it's shape and texture....plus the little 'babies' beside it.




I went back to check on this one next day and.....
SURPRISE! Look at the transformation...overnight! The large one seemed to be sheltering the little ones from the rain.
Every season has it's own beauty....enjoy every day!





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember in 7th grade hiking around the house with Dad looking for various mushrooms and fungi. I wish I had had some of these for my project! Coach Davis would have been impressed for sure ~Kara

Sue Catmint said...

Wonderful mushrooms, reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. I am familiar with the red spotted one. I think it is called something like Agaric, it is like a fairy mushroom and highly poisonous.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda~~ I hear you're having a birthday. Best wishes to you. Yours are some of the best mushroom photos I've seen. For such lowly plants, they sure have character, don't they?

J.J. Cedar Glader said...

Those white ones at the end
are destroying angel mushrooms,
do not handle them with your
bear hands or ingest or touch,
they are quite poisonous, people have died after eating fruit cut with a knife that had cut the mushroom, and its highly hallucinogenic as well, so basically you trip and die.

Lois R. said...

WOW! I didn't realize there were so many different ones! Kinda scary reading some of the posts...makes you want to ONLY take pics! Thanks for sharing. I really like the red one and the white one at the end.