Sunday, May 2, 2010

I am a daylily........




Guess there's always been a connection or perhaps a conflict between 'being' and 'doing'. I think of hearing the expression 'you are what you eat'....(in which case I'll soon be a lovely blend of mango, avocado, and garlic) ....and Holy Scripture says 'as a man (or woman) reasons in his heart, so he is'.




Well, I've been passionate about enjoying, growing, collecting, and hybridizing daylilies for a long time now....since around 1990. So I've, perhaps, come to a logical end.....I have 'become' a daylily! Truly....this year our friend, Don Morris, an up and coming hybridizer has given me the wonderful honor ....and one of the highlights of this year indeed, by naming one of his beautiful newly registered daylilies for me....Linda Hassler.




The photo is of the seedling, that is now H.Linda Hassler, on the day I first saw it blooming in Don's greenhouse at his garden. I fell in love with the great clear color....rosy red...one of my favorites, it's great plant habit ....tall, sturdy scapes, dormant foliage, and vigorous increase. To see more photos, including some taken outside, see Don's site at http://www.thelilypatch.org/ Click on '2010 introductions' to see 'Linda Hassler' and Don's other beauties!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Linda...what an honor..and a GORGEOUS COLOR and form! By the way, there is a yahoo group that I just joined called backyard hybridizers and you could share all those seedling pics to your heart's content! I for one would love to see you join that really fun and busy group! They would go gaagaa over your green UF...they have been talking about the OZ parent and showing all their babies. YOurs is GREENER than any daylily I have ever seen! These group certainly could give you some noteriety...not that you need it, now that you have a daylily named after you!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Nancy the Lilyfan